June 16, 2010

In Conversation With... Ruth Cassie



In Conversation With... Ruth Cassie

A mother, multi-instrumentalist, former backing vocalist for Hawksley Workman, alongside her work with Hey! Rosetta, and Imogen Heap, time abroad in Australia, to touring Paris with Workman, Ruth Cassie is about as seasoned as they come, full of colourful experiences, and eager to take in more of what life has to offer.

Catching Ruth by phone at her home in Huntsville on a rainy Wednesday, a little off guard, "you caught me with a bit of pancake in my teeth," and earl grey tea in hand, we spoke about her debut record, and the forces that shaped her making Ivan Blackbird's Story and her current Ontario Tour.

How did the record of Ivan Blackbird's Story come about, was it planned or more organic?

I found myself on tour with Hawksley, and I felt all of a sudden it was like now or never. I had songs in my back pocket, and I ran into my friend, who's a producer, and it was all about the right timing.

The record has a lot of energy and genuine emotion. How were you feeling during the recording of the album?

It was very exhilarating, and exhausting. We had numerous discussions about the direction of the record. It was an intensive six months in a Polish basement recording, staying up some nights 'til 2 AM, fortunately for me, my producer lived two blocks from where we recorded. There were many trips by bus back and forth to Toronto. I wanted it to be up beat, there is a lot of my own personality on the record.

One of the more playful songs on the record is "Cake for Rebecca," how did that song come about?

It's one of the most literal songs I've written, I made and ate a lot of food, and had a lot of conversations with myself. It's one of the oldest songs on the album, written when I was newly married in Australia, and evaluating my life.

There is a certain sense of quirkiness and thoughtfulness in your lyrics and sound, what brings that out?

I think part of the quirk is my own insecurities, my questioning and wanting the music to not be just a statement but open, I want you to respond. Not for affirmation from the audience but for it to be open to interpretation.

Prior to the album, you had toured with Hawksley Workman as a backing vocalist, what did you take from the experience?

I feel like my career started from the other end of the spectrum, Hawksley has you know, ten albums, and has been around for years, and I've done a lot of singing in the community, at local events, and lived other lives. I found that there are real people in the business, and they are so passionate, but live not necessarily healthy lifestyles, and that for longevity, you need people outside the business to ground you, and be your support.

How is touring as part of Hawksley's crew, compared to being out there performing your own material?

I'm not locked into a part, with being in a band, you sort of have your place to blend in, and not to overshadow the artist, and be supportive. It was a real pleasure with Hawksley, and even now the musicians are still a collective, but I have more flexibility with my vocals and control over where we take the songs. I make the expectations.

I've read you've workd on cabarets in your hometown of Huntsville, like "Dream Life of Angels," what is it that draws you to do a cabaret show?

Community, it's all about community. I like the eclectic nature of community, I have a lot of holes in my musical training, and there's a lot for me to learn from others within the community.

As part of your tour you've organized the "Girl 8 Festival," to take place in Huntsville, alongside the G8 Summit, what made you decide to put on a festival?

I'm largely naive about politics, and keep my cards close to my chest, but when I heard the G8 were coming, I wanted to build an outdoor festival. It's a wonderful range of female artists from country to cabaret music, and I wanted to stay in town, while most are running for the hills and show the life of the town.


Thanks to Ruth Cassie for speaking with Shattered Vinyl.

Catch Ruth on Tour:

June 17
The Painted Lady NXNE TORONTO
June 19 Zaphods Beeblebrox, OTTAWA
June 24 Girl 8 Festival, HUNTSVILLE
June 25 "My Summit 2010" Intl. Youth Summit, HUNTSVILLE
June 29 The Central, TORONTO

No comments: