April 24, 2010

Record Reviews: She & Him

She & Him - Volume 2 3.5/5


"The world is like a science, and I'm like a secret," sings Zooey Deschanel on Volume Two, her second collaboration with M. Ward. Picking up where Volume One left off, Deschanel and Ward continue to make impeccably well-crafted retro pop.

Deschanel, sounds more confident than on their first outing, but with her limited range it's her personality that shines. Dripping in SoCal folk rock, country twang, and crisp pop, Two demonstrates much of the same textures as Volume One. That's not to say its redundant, but encouraging given its complex composition.

"I don't know how I made it, but I sure have been blue," sings Deschanel on "Ridin' In My Car." All the songs are sickly sweet melancholy, propped up by sunny compositions. Clever songwriting, and approachable 60s radio sound, it's the happiest sad album you'll hear all year. It's charming and intelligent.

No comments: